As a leader, you need to bring three important attributes to any coaching engagement:
- Courage (to take the necessary steps towards development)
- Humility (to accept what you learn about your specific development areas and demonstrate a willingness to improve)
- Discipline (the structure and commitment to put new practices into place)
What steps should I take to ensure the right fit with a coach?
It’s essential that both the client and the coach feel good about the coaching partnership.
- As a client, you should ask for a consultation call or “chemistry interview.” This call is typically free of charge and will give you some feel for a potential coach in advance of any formal engagement.
- You should also review the coach’s background and client testimonials to confirm that they have solid credentials and a demonstrated track record of success.
The coach must also feel confident that they are a good match for the client.
If the coach feels like they’re the wrong fit for a client, it’s their responsibility to be upfront and honest with you and encourage you to pursue other alternatives.
Excerpted from Business Management Daily, June 2019