A leader needs to bring three important attributes to any coaching engagement:
- Courage (to take the necessary steps towards development and apologize, if necessary, for past behaviour)
- Humility (to accept what they learn about their specific development areas and show a willingness to improve)
- Discipline (the structure and commitment to put new practices into place).
What steps should a potential client take to ensure the right fit with a coach?
It’s essential that both the client and the coach feel good about the coaching partnership prior to commencing an engagement.
- The client should ask for a consultation call or “chemistry interview,” which allows him/her to interview potential coaching candidates in advance of any formally contracted engagement.
- The client should also review the coach’s background and previous client testimonials to ensure a solid track record of success.
The coach must also feel confident that they are a good match for a prospective client.
If the coach feels like they’re the wrong fit for a client, it’s incumbent upon them to be upfront and honest with the prospect… and encourage the client to pursue other alternatives.
Excerpted from Business Management Daily, June 2019